Monday, August 27, 2007

A Slew of Events...

I am going to try to tell all that has occurred since my last blog without making this blog too long, but no promises.


About a week after my last entry, we had our last week of Mountain Lodge campers as we know it. It was very, very hard. I have seen the Lord do a HUGE work in and through that 3-story lodge and I am still baffled as to why He feels the need to shut it all down. But, He's the one in charge right? And He knows what He's doing, right? As I left the Lodge, I did realize that it was a bit anti-climactic. As I left I realized that it really wasn't ever about the PLACE as much as it was about the PEOPLE and the work that God did in and through the PEOPLE. It is a place where the Lord changed me and revealed Himself to me, but it is just a place.

Kind of funny that this is not the first time that the Lord has had to teach me this truth.

Funny...or frustrating. I'm not sure which one.

The day after campers left, Joe (my new, amazing boyfriend) and I were finally able to go on our first (and only) date. Because he's so great and knows me so well, we went on a hike up Mt. Rose, one of the highest peaks in the Lake Tahoe area. It was such a fun first date and definitely an amazing addition to all of the awesome experiences the Lord has blessed me with. Here's Joe and me with Mt. Rose in the background. (This is just one of our many open-mouth pictures--He fits in just fabulously!)

A couple of days after our amazing date, most of the interns and James and Courtney went on a bike ride around Lake Tahoe. Once again, another great addition to the awesome experiences I had here. We left early in the morning and it took us a little under 6 hours to complete the 73 miles around the Lake. It was such a beautiful ride being as we had a view of Lake Tahoe almost the entire time. My bike held up just fabulously and I became even more addicted to riding. Here we all are above Emerald Bay (a beautiful bay in Lake Tahoe).


Joe left to drive across the country to North Carolina (where he goes to school--yes, he is younger than me!) and the day that he left, I found out that my car, Oliver, was very very sick and it would cost about $2500 to fix him, which, by the way, is WAY more than he is worth. So, my dad and I decided that the only option was to buy a new car. But, Sarah would be coming in the next few days and we were to drive across the country--I needed a new car and FAST! My friend Ryan and I went to Reno on a mission and by the end of the day I was blessed with a brand new 2008 Subaru Forster Sports at a great deal. Talk about the Lord was looking out for me--it was a very overwhelming process!!! So, meet Andre the Subaru, my new friend!


So, Sarah came to Reno to save the day and drive the 28-hour drive with me back to Dallas (see previous post). But, before we went, I had to show my beloved Bunkmate a bit of God's beautiful creation. So, we grabbed some bikes and went for a bike ride along the Truckee river and Lake Tahoe. It was so much fun and Sarah was get a taste of what I had been doing all summer. Here we are on Lake Tahoe and then after the ride looking so hard core!





The next day, we hopped in Andre (who had not yet been named) and headed for Dallas loaded down with my entire life in my car as well as my two bikes and a luggage rack on top of the car. We drove to Salt Lake City and then through Wyoming and Colorado and ended up in Newton, KS to stay with our friend Luke's parents. On Thursday morning we we on the home stretch heading down I-35 at about 60 mph when suddenly my entire bike rack ripped off of my car and began rolling down I-35. Thankfully no cars were in the direct path of the bikes, rack, and luggage. I quickly stopped my car and began running down the freeway with 30 mph winds blowing in my face and Sarah and I waited for an 18-wheeler to stop traffic for us so that we could drag the stuff out of the middle of the freeway. Thankfully a couple (who was on their way to take their engagement pictures nonetheless) stopped and knew how to take apart bikes and helped us get situated. Paula (Sarah's mom) immediately started driving north and met us near Oklahoma City to help us cope! It was a very traumatic experience to say the least.


I immediately got very mad and began calling anyone who could compensate me for my tragedy and the fact that my brand new road bike was broken in half--literally! I expended all of my resources and long story short, REI sold me the wrong rack and is going to buy me a brand new road bike and will rebuild my mountain bike and will pay to repair the dents in my brand new car. I will sing REI's praises for ages to come!!!!

A slew of events to say the least, eh?

Currently I am in Lafayette for a couple of days and then will move in with my friend Stephanie in Lewisville and begin the job hunt. The Lord has been very clear that Dallas is where I am supposed to me for this season--however long it may be. He has also been very clear that full-time ministry is next for me--it what capacity, I do not know, but we'll see. So for now I am looking for a dispensable job and will spend as much time as I can praying for direction as to where He will have be in full-time ministry.

So, there you go. It's been an adventure. It will continue to be an adventure, I am sure. Thank you all for your prayers through this time. More to come...I am sure...

6 comments:

D.O. said...

First, good job on keeping things fairly concise... really.

Second, Joe looks nice.

Third, REI is obviously the ballerest company alive. Next to maybe Polartec or Google.

Sarah said...

we are hard core!!

i wouldn't want to run into on-coming traffic and lug a heap of metal off of the highway with anyone else.

that's true friendship.

Brandy said...

Dang, girl! I can't believe your bike rack flew off! That is an INCREDIBLE story! And, of course, you gotta love REI!!!!!!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

whoa...

i think about you so much ClA!! the keys I hit looks like CIA...

check out brooke's first birthday photo on my blog...

hope to see you at christmas!

love you so much,
boudain mama bev

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

Hey Claire,
Okay, so now that you know that I keep up with you it's time for me to start commenting.

Dude, that is scary crazy that your bike rack flew off! I think that is one of my biggest fears is that someone's car paraphernalia would come flying at my windshield. Praise the Lord that nothing stood in the bike's way. That hunk of steel could have done some damage.

Thanks for the update on your many adventures! I've enjoyed and have been blessed by watching your journey in Christ unfold. It was great to see you at Cate's wedding.
Peace,
Lyns

Renee said...

Claire, you did a great job of summarizing that story. Mrs. McCarthy would be so proud! I am so happy that that day is over and everything has worked out so well. Jesus is definitely watching out for you, and your guardian angels are working overtime. Thank the Lord for them, 'cause they are there for you when I can't be. Trust me, we talk all the time! And thank God for mama Paula! Have a great day!
Love, Mom