Thursday, April 10, 2008

one hundered and fifty

Multiple sclerosis (MS) usually strikes adults in the prime of life - between the ages of 20 and 50. It is a chronic disease of the central nervous system affecting the brain and spinal cord. One new case of MS is diagnosed every hour. It comes and goes unpredictably, leaving people to wonder, "Will I become paralyzed, blind or have trouble walking? Will I be able to raise my family and continue my career?"


My dear friend, Rachel's mom was diagnosed with MS in 1990. Last year, while we were roommates, she asked me if I wanted to ride in the MS 150 with her--a 150 mile bike ride from Houston to Austin to raise money to find a cure for MS. The race was in about one month and I didn't even have a bike, but I agreed. It seemed like a good cause and I'm always up for a new adventure.

I found a bike, trained for a few weeks, and then headed down to Houston with Rachel's family. It turned out to be one of the greatest, most rewarding weekends of my life. Rachel's mom, Denyse, is such an inspiration and it was a pleasure and a joy to ride my bike for her and for all other fighting MS.


So, this weekend I will once again, head down to Houston, get on my bike, and--over a course of 2 days--will ride my bike to Austin. And, this year, my mom will be hanging out with Denyse and driving one of the chase cars. I can't wait!!

Rachel's siblings have started their own MS 150 team called "Team Yags" (Denyse's nickname) and I'm excited and honored to be a part of their team once again. Our website is www.teamyags.com where you can see bios of all of us and donate if you would like.

Please pray for our safety this weekend. There are thousands of riders and it can get dangerous on the roads with that many people out there. I'll post pictures of this year's ride next week!

3 comments:

Aimee Landreneau said...

The team link doesn't work!

Aimee

Sarah said...

yay bike riding claire!
and double yay for a car chasing Renee!

Jenderr said...

Hey glad to hear you are doing the MS 150 again. I hope you have a good time. Ride hard my friend!