Sunday, October 28, 2007

a breath of fresh air

[note: I already posted once about this, but thought it was lame, so here's my second attempt.]

This weekend my small group and I were able to get away for about 24 hours and enjoy the great outdoors. We headed up to Turner Falls in the great Arbuckle Mountains of Oklahoma and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Meet Melissa, Macee, Andrea, Mackenzie, Stephanie, Melanie, Annie, and well, you know me!




We started off our day with a great hike which ended up being mostly on the pavement b/c I got us lost, but we did have a little bit on a trail. It was very nice to be a bit in the wilderness! Here we are walking down the HUGE hill at the end of the hike.


After our hike, we began to scavenge for some firewood. Now, this proved to be a hilarious endeavor. We all started looking for some bigger logs...but to no avail. Melissa busted out an awesome pocket knife that J.J. (her boyfriend) let her borrow that had a saw-type knife on it. She and Annie and Mac had the brilliant idea to start sawing at a bigger tree limb. Praise the Lord that they were persistent, because, after much sawing and many funny grunts, they got us some wood!



Macee had the brilliant idea for me to climb a dead tree to get some of the bigger branches. I, of course, obliged (any excuse to climb I'll take!). Melanie and Steph were a bit nervous, but Macee had faith in me and we got us some good firewood!



We then got our fire started--thanks to Annie and Macee's amazing help and had our fireside fajitas. After dinner we slacklined (thanks Colby) and just sat by the fire and enjoyed some great quality time together.



The next morning, Melanie made us some coffee, we made a stop at the falls for a photo op and then headed home. It was an amazing retreat from the city and I think we all felt the Lord's presence in our time together in the outdoors! Girls, I had a blast. Let's do it again soon!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

my bunkmate.
hard core.

not only with firewood and slack lining, but with technical internet jargon as well.

(others may not understand this comment, but i am okay with that.)

love you B.

stephanie said...

You did a great job of organizing this little adventure...it was a blast! I can't wait until we do it again (:

Love you, roomie!
Steph

Anonymous said...

Well I'm not really a regular blogger? Bloggie? Blogest? But anywho I LOVED camping with you girls! We'll have to do 2 days next time. And maybe grab a funnel cake on the way in..or out...or really whenever :)

melissaj said...

Girls, I had the best time with you all!
Here are some things that I will always remember about my first camping experience...
Seeing the 'moonrise' (Claire, you were right about this), waking up to the Port-a-Potty being emptied in the morning, fireside talks of Matthew McConaughey playing the bongos, the fall foliage, Mac and I not knowing how to get out of the tent, The Honda, snowballs and funnel cakes, "What guy? I don't see a guy!" What an amazing time with amazing girls in the amazing Arbuckle Mts. Thanks Oklahoma, thanks

Brooke said...

how fun are yall!

i'm going on a retreat this weekend up the mountain--- getting away from the city is always good---- i'll try and climb a tree (HA!) and think of you.

p.s. i am SUPER jealous yall are wearing sweatshirts. thankfully it doesn't feel like the desert anymore.... but living in a tropical country means i will never be cold. dang it. i can't even make my "bucka bucka" noise.

Claire Walker said...

But brookie--you will be home so soon and can bucka bucka all you want to! I love you and miss you dearly!